Hey beautiful, how are you?
When I posted my Nappyversary on Instagram a friend (Hi Dami!) suggested I put up my hair routine and I figured that I haven’t done that since forever so I’m here with my always simple hair routine.
L-R from first row: VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying Shampoo, Daily Defense Conditioner (I don’t know where else to get this conditioner in Lagos, if you do please let me know), Goya Olive Oil, Shea Butter, Vitale Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise (not photographed), Motak Coconut Oil (I use this for my skin and it’s amazing), Now Vegetable Glycerin, Now Peppermint Essential Oil.
The steps are as follows:
- Take down the braids or cornrows with nothing, no conditioner or water because no money to waste lol, no, I do this so my unnecessary hair can fall out and I can rock my hair slightly stretched.
- Brush hair to its complete glory.
- Drench hair in water.
- Apply Shampoo and wash twice or thrice.
- T-shirt dry and allow hair to semi-dry for 45 minutes and above.
- When my hair is semi-dry (it’s not dripping of water and it’s closer to being dry than actually being wet), I apply my deep conditioner, parting my hair in sections.
- Applying deep conditioner when your hair is dry or slightly dry allows your hair to soak in the goodness of the deep conditioner unlike when it’s dripping wet. Dry foam soaks more water than wet foam, logic.
- Apply deep conditioner to a section, comb and twist till entire head is done.
- Cover with nylon and scarf or you can use a shower cap that has nylon in it (Shoutout to Tanny for getting me this, love you!)
- Sleep and rinse out the next morning. I prefer to do overnight DC because it’s just reveals softer and more manageable hair.
- Apply shea butter mixed with GLYCERINE to each section of the hair. Adding glycerine to your shea butter or hair batter just takes your moisture level through the roof. I’ve had this sitting in my shelf all year and I was crying my hair is dry and thirsty, imagine?
- Mix coconut oil, olive oil, vitamin e oil, avocado oil etc with a drop or two of peppermint oil (if you have itchy scalp like me) and apply to your scalp.
- Do macro twists or plait cornrows till the next wash day because wig life!
My hair routine is so simple as always and the products I use have been reviewed here.
I intentionally skip using a rinse out conditioner most times to hasten my washing process, no time abeg.
Deep Conditioner – Vitale Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise. This review is old but it still has the same effect on my hair till this day that’s why it’s my holy grail.
I have two hair reviews coming up, don’t miss a post, subscribe to my blog (click on the three hyphens at the top right corner of the screen, scroll down, input your email address and “Click follow, you know you want to”).
Catch up with me on:
Instagram – Bookie Kunlere
Twitter – BookieKunlere
Snapchat – thelifeofbey